METABOLIC EFFICIENCY TESTING
What kind of athlete are you…a triathlete, a runner, a cyclist, mountaineer, cross country skier? Or, maybe you don’t consider yourself an athlete at all and you simply enjoy movement and exercise; you’re a regular gym goer, a fitness enthusiast. Maybe you haven’t exercised in quite some time, your health is suffering and you’re not sure how to move forward. Mainstream media offers a variety of suggestions and strategies for improving your performance, losing weight, improving energy, building muscle, etc. Many of these options are not sustainable nor are they individualized to help you meet your specific goals.
Stop guessing. Learn what’s going on “under your hood.” Metabolic Efficiency Testing provides insight into your efficiency in utilizing fat stores as energy during exercise. Testing can be useful for any individual who is curious about weight management, improving general health or optimizing performance. Metabolic Efficiency Testing is a sub-maximal exercise test used to assess your nutrition strategies in order to support your lifestyle and goals. Testing can reveal whether your daily nutrition is supporting your body’s ability to burn more fat while preserving its carbohydrate stores in order to optimize safe and long-term weight loss, improve your general health or improve your performance. Click here for more in-depth information about the Metabolic Efficiency TrainingTM Concept.
If you are a new or seasoned athlete who has questions about how to fuel your body to best support your daily and training nutrition, feel you have plateaued in your training or feel GI distress with exercise; metabolic testing may help you reach that next level. Information received from our test packages can be used to assist in the customization of individual exercise and nutrition strategies, including calories burned per hour of exercise and optimal intensities for training and recovery.
Depending upon the test protocol, the following information can be offered:
- Resting data to assess calorie utilization at rest in order to reveal information about your overall health
- Appropriate exercise intensities and nutrition strategies to improve fuel utilization
- Exercise recovery intervals to maximize fat adaptation
- Nutrition parameters to reduce the risk of GI distress during training
- Amount of carbohydrate and fat utilized at various exercise intensities measured by speed, heart rate, pace/power and rate of perceived exertion
- Customized hourly energy intake during exercise
- A total amount of calories utilized at each exercise intensity
- Fuel utilization and partitioning at varying exercise intensities
- Nutrition coaching using test results to provide nutrition strategies to optimize daily and training nutrition
If you’re more of a fitness enthusiast or simply an individual who would like to take the first steps towards improving your health, metabolic efficiency testing may help you to gain a better understanding of your individual needs. Anyone can do a resting test and exercise-based tests simply require an individual to be able to walk, run or bike for at least 30 minutes and your pace is based on your level of fitness. Testing is currently offered on a treadmill (running, walking or hiking) or on your bike using a Computrainer system.
Potential Benefits of Testing and Following Through with Recommendations:
Consistencyof energy throughout the day and reduced food cravings
- Improvements in the energy economy and exercise performance
- Improved blood sugar control
- Weight management and improvements in body composition
- Reduced risk of certain disease states (metabolic syndrome, HTN, diabetes)
- Mood stabilization and restful sleep
Packages and Pricing
Unless otherwise stated, all appointment times are 2 Hours; Exercise time: 30-60 mins.
Please note: All dietician consults are scheduled directly with a recommended registered dietitian. Depending upon the dietitian you select, the consult can either be in person, via phone or virtual conference and will consist of the following:
- a review of test results
- discussion of nutrition and how it plays a role in metabolic efficiency
- recommendations and examples on how to adjust nutrition to improve metabolic efficiency
Basic Metabolic Efficiency Test Package: $500
Consists of a resting test and 2
Basic Test Package and Consultation with Registered Dietician: $475 and additional $75 paid directly to the Dietician
If you would prefer more in-depth nutrition strategies from a registered dietician than this is the package for you. Consists of a resting test and 2
- Within one week of testing, the dietitian will email you basic nutritional strategies based upon your test results. You will maintain a food log and the consult will be completed 3 weeks later.
- After implementing the recommended nutrition and exercise strategies, you will retest within 3 months of the initial test.
Triathlete Testing Package: $825
Consists of a resting test and 3 exercise-based metabolic efficiency tests. You will complete an initial bike and run tests within 2 weeks. You will receive test interpretation and simple nutrition strategies from your Metabolic Efficiency Testing specialist. After implementing the recommended nutrition and exercise strategies, you will retest within 3 months of the initial test and the test mode (bike or run) will be based upon the results of the initial tests.
Triathlete Package and Consultation with Registered Dietician: $800 and an additional $75 paid directly to the Dietician
If you would prefer more in-depth nutrition strategies from a registered dietician than this is the package for you. Consists of a resting test and 3 exercise-based metabolic efficiency tests and one 30-minute consult with a recommended dietician.
- Within one week of testing, the dietitian will email you basic nutritional strategies based upon your test results. You will maintain a food log and the phone consult will be completed 3 weeks later.
- After implementing the recommended nutrition and exercise strategies, you will retest within 3 months of the initial test and the test mode (bike or run) will be based upon the results of the initial tests.
Weight Management/Health Marker Improvement Package for Non-Exercisers: $750 and an additional $125 paid directly to the Dietician
Consists of a resting test and 2
- Within one week of testing, the dietitian will email you basic nutritional strategies based upon your test results. The client will maintain a food log and the phone consult will be completed 3 weeks later.
- Also, within one week of the initial test, you will have a one-hour session with the exercise specialist to develop an exercise program. You will meet for 30 minutes 6-8 weeks after initial testing to progress or adjust the exercise program. You will retest at 10-12 weeks.
Race Prep/Fueling Plan Test: $275 test only, additional $75 for a consult with Registered Dietician
This is a constant exercise intensity test based on predicted race pace and terrain using your testing mode of choice. It is the optimal test for developing race specific nutritional strategies and is best performed within 2 weeks of your goal race. For the triathlete, it can consist of a bike to run test rather than a single mode test.
Appointment time: 2 hours; total exercise time from 60-90 minutes.
Single Test Option: $350 test only, additional $75 for a consult with Registered Dietician
We do not normally recommend tests in isolation as we cannot quantify how well our nutrition and exercise strategies have worked after the first test. However, if you would like to schedule a one-time test, you will receive a resting test and a single bike, run or walking metabolic efficiency test. You will receive test interpretation and simple nutrition strategies from your Metabolic Efficiency Testing specialist.
Resting Metabolic Test: $150 (1 hour)
- Does not involve exercise and will provide you with information on your overall health including your daily caloric expenditure at rest and how efficient your body is at utilizing fat vs carbohydrates for energy at rest. You will receive simple nutrition strategies for improving your metabolic efficiency.
Resting Test with 45-minute Consultation with a Registered Dietician: $125 and an additional $125 paid directly to the Dietician
- Whether your goal is weight management or to improve performance, the nutritional component of your plan has by far the greatest impact on your ability to meet your goals. Meet with a Registered Dietitian who will use the information provided to assist you in designing an optimal nutrition strategy to meet your needs.
***Sponsored teams receive a 10% discount on all services
EXERCISE SMARTER…NOT HARDER!
To request an appointment or more information please call (206)706-7500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org In order to better assist you, please review the intake forms and testing protocols in the links below. Please note that a deposit is required at the time of scheduling.
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98115
M-Th: 7:00am – 6:30pm
Friday: 7:00am – 5:30pm
Subscribe to our Newsletter